9 Spooky Ideas For Your Virtual Halloween Party 2020
Planning a Halloween party mid-pandemic? With more lockdown restrictions looming, the idea of a virtual Halloween party does not seem so bad. But how do you go about planning a virtual party? What Halloween party ideas can you incorporate, and more important, which event suppliers should you hire to make this virtual Halloween party one for the ages? Lucky for you, we’ve done all the research. All you have to do is read on!
The 31st of October, aka Halloween, aka All Hallows Eve is fast approaching and we couldn’t be more excited! Pumpkin spiced lattes, eerie decor and spooky Halloween costumes are some of the little things that get us excited about this holiday. There is however one thing that we may not be able to enjoy this Halloween 2020 due to the pandemic, and that is an all out, terrifyingly fun Halloween party. Don’t lose all hope yet though, as there may be some ways for you to work around the current restrictions, and still have a Halloween party for the ages, in an unorthodox yet totally fun way!
How, you ask? Well, virtual parties have been getting more and more popular amid the Covid-19 pandemic, and we believe they have a huge potential. Not only can you continue to have fun interacting with friends in a safe, socially distanced way, there may also be some options for you to hire event suppliers.
With new lockdown restrictions on the horizon, and strict limits on guest numbers for events for the foreseeable future, the light at the end of the tunnel seems further away for event suppliers in the UK. So, even when planning a virtual party, don’t forget to include some local event suppliers. Not only can they help make your virtual Halloween party even more unique and fun, you can also support some local businesses at the same time.
Without further ado, here are 9 spooky ideas for your next virtual halloween party!
1. Pick your virtual party app
Virtual parties seem like the way to go for birthday parties as of late, and we believe this trend will soon take over Halloween parties. But just because you are planning a virtual Halloween party that you can host from the comfort of your own home, doesn’t mean there’s not a lot of work to be done.
Choosing the right video call app to host your virtual party is extremely important, as you want it to be smooth sailing, from the beginning of the party until the very end. We’ve all had at least one bad experience using a video call app, from struggling to log in, audio and microphone issues, to losing connection half way through. If you want your virtual Halloween party to be a total success instead of a snooze fest, choosing the right video call app is key.
Things to look out for:
Price: Most apps offer free and paid versions for video calling.
Time limitations: Some apps have time limitations when using their free version. If there is a time limit on your chosen app, plan your party activities accordingly.
Mobile VS Desktop functionality: Pick an app that is available on desktop, Google Play and App Store, to make sure all your guests can easily gain access
Extra features: Want to share your screen with your guests for a virtual game you have planned, or record your party so you can share with the ones who couldn’t attend? Make sure your chosen app offers these extra features that will make your virtual Halloween party one for the books.
Our Top 3 Video Call App Picks:
1. Zoom: Free to use, 40-minute time limit for 3+ users on free version, works on all platforms, selection of extra features to use from
2. Skype: Free to use, max 50 users allowed, works on all platforms, screen sharing and more
3. Google Duo: Free to use, user friendly experience, pre-installed on most new Android devices & available on iOS, Windows and Mac
Tip: Don’t forget to set a Halloween-themed background on your chosen video call app to get your guests in the festive Halloween spirit.
Let your Halloween virtual party guests know which video call app you have selected in advance, to ensure everyone can gain access when the time comes, and let the fun begin!
2. Send Halloween cupcake boxes to your guests
Let’s face it: it’s not a party without cake. And since you can’t enjoy a huge slab of cake with all your friends, why not send them some Halloween cupcake boxes? This way you can still enjoy a fun Halloween-themed dessert, it’s also a unique way to treat your guests, even if you are not all in the same room.
Tip: Save a portion of your virtual Halloween party for cupcake eating, and let your guests know to save the cupcakes for then. It’s much more fun to eat dessert together, even via webcam!
Browse through our list of local Cake Makers, pick your favourite and get in touch to place your order.
3. Run a virtual Halloween costume contest
It’s not a Halloween party without the costumes and anyone who says otherwise should be immediately uninvited! When the Halloween party turns virtual however, it is easy for your guests to get lazy and not put an effort on their costume choice. Motivate your guests to bring out their scariest, bloodiest Halloween costumes with a virtual Halloween costume contest.
How it works:
1. Let your guests know: Make sure your guests know about the halloween costume contest by including this info on the invites. Create a bigger buzz around the contest by announcing the prizes you have in store for the winners.
2. Choose your categories: Along with the announcement of the costume contest, make sure you include the categories so that your guests can plan their costumes accordingly.
3. Pick the winners: You can easily create a poll using a free online tool such as Poll Maker, or use your video platform’s polling feature. Ask your guests to vote for their favourite costume for each category, count up the votes, and announce the winners.
Tip: Have your guests start voting at the beginning of your virtual Halloween party, and hold on to the results until the very end. Needless to say, the suspense will be killing them.
And may the spookiest costume win!
Haven’t picked out your Halloween costume yet? Head to our Party & Costume Suppliers category to start your search.
4. Watch a scary movie simultaneously
What better way to set the mood for your virtual Halloween party than streaming a scary Halloween movie with you and your web crew? Online streaming platforms have now evolved to allow for synchronised video playback, so you and your friends can watch movies online, simultaneously. You can use a streaming service such as Netflix’s new feature Netflix Party, or go the old school way, and have all your friends press ‘PLAY’ at the same time. Whatever works for you, we won’t judge!
Our Top 10 must-watch Halloween movies:
- Friday the 13th
- The Exorcist
- Nightmare on Elm Street
- Edward Scissorhands
- Trick ‘r Treat
- The Ring
- The Craft
Watching a horror movie whilst live on a video call is the best way to figure out which one of your friends is “too cool for school”, as well as who is secretly a scaredy cat. Plus, you could use the company because let’s face it, nobody likes watching scary movies alone!
5. Run a pumpkin carving contest
It wouldn’t be Halloween without the grinning faces of the spooky Jack O’ Lanterns lighting up our windows. Running a pumpkin carving contest will get your guests’ creativity juices flowing, and it’s a great way to let the passers-by know that you are still celebrating Halloween, by putting them out after the contest.
How it works:
1. Let your guests know: Make sure you give your guests plenty of notice, to make sure everyone is equipped with at least one, ready-to-be-carved pumpkin along with the required carving tools.
2. Choose a time: It’s up to you if you would like to set aside a portion of your virtual Halloween party for pumpkin carving, or ask your guests to carve their contest pumpkins in advance. Although it may be fun to watch as your guests put on their best efforts to win, it may not be practical, as it’s time-consuming.
3. Pick your winners: Keep the voting simple for your guests by using the same voting system as your Virtual Halloween Costume Contest.
Tip: Remember to take some insta-worthy pics of your pumpkins to post online, and don’t forget to use #PumpkinCarving to showcase your designs.
Ready, set, carve!
6. Virtual Trick or Treat
There’s no such thing as virtual trick or treat, you say? Well, bare with me as I explain.
Trick or treating is one of the most cherished and exciting Halloween traditions, so it would not really be Halloween without it. And just because there won’t be any door-to-door trick or treating this year, doesn’t mean you should miss out on all the fun. Virtual trick or treating is definitely allows your guests to enjoy this long-standing Halloween tradition in a safe, socially distanced environment, from the comfort of their homes.
How it works:
1. Pick your virtual treats: Virtual wallpapers, digital credits for Google Play or App store, online gift cards or subscriptions, a Cameo message from a favourite celebrity are some great ideas for virtual gifts.
2. Send each guest one of the virtual gifts you have selected: Make sure they know those gifts are NOT for them! They are for them to give to their virtual Trick or Treaters.
3. Give each guest some Halloween riddles and questions: Instruct your guests that throughout your virtual Halloween party, they can send private messages asking “Trick or Treat?” to any guest they choose to. The chosen guest has to provide the trick or treater with a riddle or question. If answered correctly, the trick or treater receives one of the virtual gifts you equipped your guests with.
Et Voila! This is such a fun and creative version of trick or treating, as it encourages interaction between your guests, and will definitely add to your virtual Halloween party experience.
7. Share chilling ghost stories
What better way to get your guests in the Halloween spirit, than with some good ol’ sinister ghost stories? Keeping the energy up during a virtual party is a tough feat. Ask your guests to share their most spine-chilling, hair-raising ghost stories to liven up your virtual Halloween party.
If you want, you can let your guests know in advance that they will be sharing ghost stories, to allow them to gather inspiration. You may prefer to keep your guests on their toes by asking them there and then, but be prepared as some may not find it easy to think of spooky ghost stories on the spot.
Tip: Add to the Halloween fun by asking your storytellers to make the stories as realistic as possible, while all the other guests try to figure out if the story is fact or fiction.
8. Halloween Happy Hour
If you are in the mood for boo-ze this October 31st, you can have a Halloween happy hour during your virtual party. On-theme cocktails are definitely a trend you will want to include in your virtual party, and it’s a great way to loosen up your guests, get them more comfortable with being live on screen, and ready for all the fun you have in store!
How it works:
1. Select a cocktail recipe: One quick search on the web and you can find dozens of easy yet creepy Halloween cocktail recipes. We recommend this list of easy Halloween cocktails by Country Living.
2. Share the cocktail recipe with your guests: Send your guests the recipe for your chosen cocktail in plenty of time, to make sure they have all the ingredients to make it. If you don’t want to restrict your guests to one cocktail, send them a list of recipes to choose from.
3. Make the cocktail: Instruct your guests to wait until the party has started, and make the cocktails together at the same time. This way you get to see who’s got sick bartending skills, and who can get most creative with their cocktail presentation.
Tip: Give your guests the option to make one cocktail to enjoy during your Halloween happy hour, or make a big pitcher to enjoy throughout.
Bottoms up! Need I say more?
9. Give a Virtual Haunted House Tour
Not being able to have a proper Halloween party this year is all the more reason for you to go ALL OUT on those Halloween decorations. This year, the scarier the Halloween decor is, the better. And what a better way to show off your creepy, blood-curdling Halloween decor than with a virtual haunted house tour?
How it works:
1. Creepify your house: Select parts of your house that you would want to include in your virtual haunted house tour, and make sure you cover every inch in spooky Halloween decor.
2. Pick a ghost story: No haunted house tour would be complete without a ghost haunting story to go with it. Make sure your story is short enough to memorise, whilst keeping your guests engaged yet petrified.
3. Rehearse your tour: It is extremely important to rehearse your haunted house tour beforehand, to make sure you don’t skip any rooms, and that your ghost haunting story flows effortlessly as you give your guests the tour.
What you will need:
Frightening Halloween decor: You can either do this yourself, or if you want to make this tour as terrifying and realistic as possible, you may want to look for a party decorator who can do this for you.
A wireless webcam or laptop: Having a wireless webcam will allow you to move freely around the house, whilst giving your tour that Blair Witch Project vibe that will send chills down your guests spines.
A friend or family member: This might be the most important part of your virtual haunted house tour. Have one of your family members or housemates to dress up as a ghost and get as creative as possible with the haunting. Ask them to move objects and furniture as you move past, walk slowly behind you when you “aren’t looking”, or shut a door really loud. If that doesn’t scare the bejesus out of your guests I’m not sure what will.
If you want in on the virtual haunted house tour, you can opt for one of these haunted house walkthroughs available on YouTube. These walkthroughs are extremely creepy and not for the fainthearted so make sure your guests (including yourself) can handle it.
Time to start planning
Hopefully you will click away from this blog full of ideas for your virtual Halloween party. The most important thing to remember is to make sure this does not feel like any other work meeting or virtual pub quiz, by giving it the sinister yet totally fun Halloween party vibe it deserves.
Use the ideas on this list to keep your guests engaged throughout the whole event, with fun and interactive activities.